3.03.2011

Birthday Cakes



This past weekend I celebrated my birthday with a small gathering of friends and plenty of cake and champagne . . .

 A few had brought confections they had prepared, and by 9 pm we had three cakes (Ice Box, Vegan Chocolate with a Roasted Coconut and Almond topping, and the Baked Alaska I prepared) and a dozen lovely cupcakes gracing the dining room table. I went at each with the gusto and excitement of a twelve-year-old, and woke up the next morning 35 and suffering from the first cake hangover of my life.Painful at the time, but I would not have had it any other way.
Birthday Baked Alaska, Before Baked



Birthday Baked Alaska, Baked



Interior:

Chocolate Cake: I used the devil's food cake recipe in Baking From My Home to Yours.
Graham Cracker Ice Cream: I made the ice cream by using this standard vanilla recipe, sans vanilla, and adding in 1 cup of fine fine fine graham cracker crumbs before it went to rest in the fridge over night.
Marshmallow-y Meringue: The recipe that I went with is from the Baked Alaska in Desserts By the Yard.

2 comments:

Jenine said...

wow... it looks very beautiful and yummy!!!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

gorgeous cake! sounds like you had a very happy birthday.