5.20.2008

Some Cake Miscellany for You As I Recover from a Visit to L.A.

that included a few cake-related stops I'll be posting about once I get all of the photos downloaded. Until then...



I recently came across the picture above of the wedding cake I had baked for one of my step-sister's weddings. It was taken in early 2000 and was my first (and as of now, only) wedding cake. At the time, I knew nothing about baking save for the fact that I liked to do it. My mom had borrowed a few larger cake pans from a co-worker for me to use (to the best of my recollection, a 14" and an 18"), and I bought multiple boxes of white cake mix and tubs of white frosting from the grocery store to accommodate.

As far as I can remember, the thought of baking the cake from scratch never crossed my mind. I grew up happily on boxed cake mix cakes, and, until I learned how easy a scratch cake could be and how much better I found the taste, that's what I used.

The cake gods must have been smiling on me that day because, even though I over-mixed, filled the pans with way too much batter causing a near-fire, and broke the bottom layer trying to get it out of the pan, the cake worked out beautifully. I'm sure the gobs of frosting as bandages as well as the (fresh!) daises I used to decorate the cake were partially to thank for that, but I'd like to think maybe fate knew what was in store for me and my baking future and decided to intervene before I turned my back on baking forever. Cue music.

•••

My friend Jaime sent along the photos below of a recent afternoon she spent with Katie (the recipient of the Good Luck Coconut Lemon Tea Cake) helping neighbors Anthony and Alexander decorate a 30th birthday cake for their mom. It's a splendid cake, if I do say so myself, so I thought I'd share it with all.



•••

The Wilton School in Illinois is having its 80th anniversary celebration on June 14th. It looks like it's going to be an interesting day for cake-lovers. Here's a link to the info if you feel inclined to investigate further.


The Wilton Family circa 1940. Photo courtesy of wilton.com

No comments: